Saturday, January 23

Recipe of the week: Granola cereal

This is one item that I have found I absolutely, positively can not live without!
Thank you LR for this homemade granola recipe!

I have always loved granola, but I would rarely buy it because of the cost- it is expensive! I started making this homemade granola recipe about 6 months ago and now it is a staple in my home. And, it's so much less expensive to make homemade. That's true of many things and I'll show you my homemade recipes once a week on Saturdays. (While we're waiting for those new ads to come out.)

Ingredients are:
6 cups rolled oats (I prefer regular over quick.)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 c. coconut
1/4 c. sunflower seeds
1/2 c. raisins, optional
1 c. chopped nuts
1/3 c. sesame seeds
(I skip the sesame seeds, only because I could not find a large bag that was economical. I also didn't look very hard either. I used flax seed for awhile, but my husband complained that he felt like he was eating bird seed! So, look around for some economical seeds that will add nutrition.)

I mix all the above dry ingredients (except for the raisins, those are added later) right on the baking sheet. It saves a step later, as you have to bake the granola in the oven.



Then, wisk together:
1/2 c. oil
1/3 c. honey
2 t. vanilla
Pour over the granola and mix until coated thorougly. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. You will need to stir the granola during baking to ensure even browning. If you add the raisins or dried fruit (I want to try craisins next time), add to the baking granola in the last 5 minutes. Watch the granola carefully, do not overbake.


After the cereal is baked, cool on the the baking sheet. Break up any large pieces after it has cooled and store in an airtight container. I put mine in a gallon size plastic bag that seals.

Enjoy! I love this is a cereal with milk, or we eat it with our FREE yogurt!

This recipe makes 8 cups and it is best not to double it. I figure that if you buy your ingredient at rock bottom prices and with coupons, this recipe costs less than $2 to make each time. Compare that to $4-$6 of the store bought brands and now you're eating like savvy shopper!

No comments: