Saturday, February 27

Recipe of the week: Chicken pot pie

Mmmmm..... this recipe is a family favorite for dinner and is a great way to use leftover chicken or turkey.

First, turn your oven to 450 degrees. Then, start with your pie crust. Mix 1 1/4 cups flour with 1/4 t. salt. Then mix in with a fork 1/3 c. shortening. (I know... not healthy! I should probably look for a pie crust recipe with a healthy oil instead.) Mix flour mixture and shortening together until it looks like fine crumbs. Sprinkle 1 T. of cold water on the mixture and mix one section of the dough with the water. Repeat until 4-5 T. water are used and the dough clings together.

Roll out dough until it's very thin on a floured surface.

Let the pie crust wait while you mix together the pie filling.


I started with the veggies this time. I usually use frozen vegetables, but I used some leftover fresh vegetables from the get together I told you about last week. I chopped those up in my 'Kitchen Plus 2000'- a hand chopper and more. (I'm giving one of these away next week- watch for that!)

Repeat. This was so tasty, I used cauliflower, celery, and carrots. Boil them together until crisp tender.

Next step: the sauce! This is when I pull out my 'Big 4' collection. These are not pretty, but I use them all the time and they are so handy! Dehydrated chopped onion, dry milk, chicken bouillon, and flour.
Melt 3 T. margarine in a saucepan and sautee the dried onions in the butter- just for about 15 seconds, though- the onions burn easily because they are still dry. Add 1/3 c. flour to the margarine mixture and stir together. I always use a wisk since I'll need it for the next step.

Add to the flour mixture 2 1/2 c. water, 1/4 c. dry milk, 2 T. chicken bullion. Wisk these together to get out the lumps and continue 'wisking' until mixture is bubbly. Boil together for 1 minute.

Add the vegetables and 2 1/2- 3 c. chopped chicken or turkey to the sauce and mix together.

Pour the whole mixture into a baking dish and cover with the pie crust. Poke a few holes in the crust.

I usually put the dish on a baking sheet in case it boils over. Bake for 15 minutes in your 450 degree oven, or until golden brown. This will be VERY hot! Allow time to cool off before serving. There you go, another fabulous and delicious and very frugal dinner recipe!

Do you make chicken pot pie? If so, tell me how! Leave a comment or send a message to me at savvysistershops@live.com

1 comment:

Katie said...

I make this, very similar recipe too. I add thyme to the sauce and then just pour the sauce, veggies, chicken etc in a 9x13 and heat until bubbly. Then instead of a crust I put biscuit dough on top an bake until golden.