Saturday, March 27

Recipe of the week: Mock Mozzarella

This is an unusual recipe, but it's so easy and a way to use your powdered milk. (That's a fabulous price right now, like I mentioned yesterday.) This is not a "real" cheese, but a mock cheese- use it as a filler and mix with your regular cheeses. It's great on pizza or in lasagna! Any recipe that you use cheese in, you can use this cheese along with it. When I told my family that I wanted to learn how to make cheese this year, I think they thought I was a little crazy. Anyhow, here it is, a homemade mozzarella cheese ball!


This only took about 10 minutes and only has 4 ingredients, one of which is water.

Mock Mozzarella Cheese

4 c. warm water
1 3/4 c. white vinegar
2/3 c. vegetable oil
3 c.
powdered milk

Blend all ingredients, pour into a hot saucepan and heat to 115 degrees to form curds. There will be a lot of liquid left over. Rinse the curds in warm water, drain and salt to taste. Place in a cheesecloth bag and hang to drain or squeeze out excess liquid. I just use a dishtowel and place over a bowl. Cool and grate or crumble. Use as you would commercial mozzarella cheese. For a firmer texture use only 1/4 to 1/3 c. oil.

Thanks to my sis-in-law, Lorraine, for this recipe!

No comments: