Saturday, May 22

Recipes of the week: Chicken Enchiladas & 7-layer dip


Mmmm... one of my favorite dinners! Here's my recipe for Chicken Enchiladas:

Before you begin, decide how you'd like to warm up the corn tortillas. If they are not warm, they will break! I wrap the 12 corn torillas in plastic wrap and warm them in the microwave. If you prefer to warm them slowly, wrap them in foil and place them in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes.

For the sauce, cook together:
2 T. margarine or butter
1/2 c. chopped onion (I use my dehydrated onions)
1/2 t. garlic salt
Cook until onion is soft and tender.

Meanwhile:
Stir 3 T. all-purpose flour into 8 oz. carton sour cream. Add this mixture to the onion/butter mixture.

Next, stir in 2 c. chicken broth and 1 4 oz. can diced green chili peppers all at once. Cook and stir this sauce until it is thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add 1/2 c. cheese (I prefer Monterey Jack.)

Next, stir 1 c. of this sauce into 3 c. chopped chicken or turkey. Place about 1/4 c. filling inside each tortilla like so:
Place your rolled tortillas into a greased pan:
Top with the remaining sauce.
Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. **OR place these in the freezer for a quick meal later! I often make double and have one for later. Sprinkle with 1/2 c. cheese during the last 5 minutes. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving. Top with olives and tomatoes, if desired. I like to serve mine with salad and spanish rice as seen in the top picture.
And... for a special treat- 7 layer bean dip! My husband and I get this all to ourselves when I make it- no one else in the family likes it!
For my seven layers, I use:
Layer 1- Refried Beans + Salsa mixed (The amount depends on how spicy you like it! I usually add 1/2 c. salsa to 1 can of refried beans)
Layer 2- Guacamole or mashed avocados
Layer 3- Sour cream
Layer 4- Shredded cheese
Layer 5- Lettuce (I tear it into teeny-tiny pieces.)
Layer 6- Chopped tomatoes
Layer 7- Chopped olives
I hope you enjoy these yummy recipes!

1 comment:

Dahlene said...

Yum. Looks great! I'll have to try it.